THE ‘BUBBLE’ BY PETITE STAR

20 Sep

I was recently sent the new ‘Bubble’ by Petite Star to road-test. I was lucky enough to be one of the first mummies in the UK to get their hands on one, and I was super excited to see what all the fuss was about.

Before my ‘Bubble’ arrived I did a bit of research on Petite Star. They were a new brand to me, but I soon discovered I had been missing out.

Petite Star have some fab products – from strollers and travel systems, to baby walkers and high-chairs. The NJOY ‘Bubble’ however is probably one of their most successful and innovative products to date. What makes this buggy so unique is that it is the first ever Umbrella fold buggy in the UK market that is both forward facing, as well as parent facing!

I did a post on the ‘Bubble’ a few weeks ago so I will not bore you with all the same details. I will however tell all about my adventures with the Bubble to date – and why I think that this is maybe one of the best umbrella fold buggies on the market at the moment.

The ‘Bubble’ is relatively compact and lightweight but it does not have that breakable, flimsy feeling, that you get with the likes of MacLaren. I have the MacLaren Triumph, which I purchased as a travel buggy, and I must admit I am not a big fan. In comparison the ‘Bubble’ feels a lot more substantial. The seat is a lot more luxurious and comfortable, with padded head-rest and a foot rest that comes up – allowing baby to have her feet up, rather than dangling over the edge. My little one will sleep comfortably whilst out and about which is really important!

The wheels and steering are extremely light and maneuverability is fab. I was really surprised by this. You can easily turn the buggy one handed if necessary. 360degree rotation is totally smooth. Navigating around the shops is pretty easy. Curbs and pot holes do not cause any problems.

The handle height is spot on. I am 5’9 but I do not feel like I have to bend down. With a lot of strollers I find the handles a bit low and can cause a bit of back ache – this is something to bear in mind if dad is also a regular stroller. The ‘Bubble’ is also really easy to fold and un-fold – it has the same technique as all unbrella folds. The breaks are easy to put on and off, with a simple foot lever that locks the wheels.

I will now move onto the seat positioning. This is where things get really exciting! I love the fact that I can have Annabella facing me, as well as facing outwards – she loves it too. It is especially beneficial to have her facing me when I am trying to get her to sleep. I find she has less distractions and gets a comfort from being able to see my face. Falling asleep in the ‘Bubble’ is relatively quick and easy. What is also fab, is that, with the parent facing position you can pull the large hood right down making it really dark and cosy inside – again great if you are trying to get little one to sleep. I think this would come in extra handy with smaller babies as they like to feel snug. It would also be great on sunny days as you can really protect little one from the sun and keep them totally in the shade. I found that with my MacLaren, on holiday, it was near impossible to have Annabella in the shade, even with a flimsy sun umbrella. Next holiday the ‘Bubble’ is definitely coming with!

Altering the seat position from parent facing to forward facing is really simple and takes just a second. You can easily do it whilst out and about, as long as you take little one out of the buggy first! The sun canopy does not have to be removed as it is also reversible. My Mother in Law is using the ‘Bubble’ on the days when I am in the office and she finds it super easy – she loves it. For her, the Bugaboo is too complicated and bulky. She is not a great fan of the MacLaren as the buckle always sticks and she doesn’t think Annabella finds it very comfortable. The ‘Bubble’  however is a real hit!

I have been using my ‘Bubble’ for the past week and cannot really fault it. Perhaps the only niggle is that the shopping basket is not that big or easy to access – but to be honest I am yet to find a buggy or stroller that has the perfect shopping basket!? I also feel that the ‘Bubble’ is not 100% aesthetically pleasing – I would not say it is the chicest buggy you can get. But again, what umbrella fold buggies are totally chic!?

I would definitely recommend the Petite Star NJOY ‘Bubble’ if you are looking for a good quality, mid range Umbrella fold buggy. It is suitable from birth so it has real longevity.

It would also be perfect if you are looking for a second buggy – one to take on hols or to lend to the Mother in Law.

The ‘Bubble’ retails at £200 and come in two different colourways – purple and black, or silver and black. You can Purchase here.

Let me know if I have missed anything out that you might want to know? I am always happy to answer questions.

Jessica x

Tags: , ,

19 Responses to “THE ‘BUBBLE’ BY PETITE STAR”

1. Sinead September 20, 2012 at 1:11 pm #

Hi is the purple suitable for a boy? Looking to buy for my 5 week old x

• jessicalouiseclark September 21, 2012 at 11:26 am #

Hey, yes I don’t see why not!? They do silver and black too.. x

2. Jo October 8, 2012 at 4:53 pm #

Hi, great review thanks! How does the seat recline? Is it with a pull tape or rigid clips? Also does it sit up 90 degrees? I haven’t seen any pictures of it in the position? Finally, where do you hang your bag when it’s parent facing? We all know we shouldn’t hang bags on the handles, but we all do it, is this possible when rear facing?
    Thanks

• jessicalouiseclark October 9, 2012 at 1:01 pm #

Hi Jo, to recline there is a handle release – it’s super easy. It sits up to 90degrees – not sure if it’s exact but pretty much. That is a good question re bag positioning – it will still hang over the handles as baby sits at the other end so doesn’t get hit by the bag. Works well if you bag hangs low. Hope this helps x

3. Lucy October 11, 2012 at 8:19 pm #

Great review :) just wanted to know if you think its on the same par as the bugaboo bee? We love our bee but am worried that in the next year or so we’ll need to get something smaller/lighter. Lucy xx

• jessicalouiseclark October 11, 2012 at 8:42 pm #

I would always go for Bugaboo – I love my Chamelon – but they are expensive and I think the Bubble could well be the next best thing.
      At 15 months there is no need for such a big, bulky ‘travel system’. My daughter likes to walk herself a lot now so its good to have something lightweight and easy to fold and travel with. I would think you are feeling the same with your Bee? If you are looking for a lightweight buggy then the Bubble is perfect x

4. Claire October 12, 2012 at 6:38 am #

Is this stroller suitable for young babies? Does the seat recline to a flat position? I’m looking for a back-up stroller for travel. Thanks, Claire

• jessicalouiseclark October 12, 2012 at 7:57 am #

Yes the Bubble is suitable from birth and reclines pretty much flat. This would be the perfect stroller for travel – I will be using mine when I go on holiday. It’s perfect for little ones as they can also face you for comfort.

5. Wendy November 24, 2012 at 4:44 am #

does it also sit up to almost 90 in patent facing position? all pics/videos ive seen look very reclined. Thanks!

• jessicalouiseclark November 27, 2012 at 9:46 am #

Hi Wendy, In the picture on my post my daughter is sitting forward facing – I would say that it doesn’t go completely upright but very nearly. Baby doesn’t have to be reclined. Hope this helps x

6. Wendy November 29, 2012 at 1:40 am #

whoops i overlooked that photo..thanks! does the footrest also go down for older bubs to hang their legs?

• jessicalouiseclark December 3, 2012 at 3:26 pm #

Hi, Yes the footrest hangs down when required x

• jo December 11, 2012 at 3:03 pm #

if you havent got one yet im letting mine go only been out 4 times

• jessicalouiseclark December 13, 2012 at 9:50 am #

We have one already – but maybe another Mumzy-not follower might like one?!

7. jo December 11, 2012 at 2:28 pm #

im looking to sell mine as my boy wants to walk and only screams in it…its 2 months old and been out a handfull of times

• jessicalouiseclark December 11, 2012 at 2:42 pm #

Oh no that’s a shame. We love our Bubble. We have gone through that stage of not wanting to be in the buggy though! It’s awful!

• jo December 11, 2012 at 3:02 pm #

I was so happy to get it and thought he would love it but its not being used as i drop off to nursery on my way back from work and if we go out at weekends i find myself pussing an empty push chair while he holds daddy’s hand lol

if you know anyone who wants a bargin.

8. jo December 14, 2012 at 3:16 pm #

Yes I’m open to anyone contacting me if they want it, Alex will be 2 next month so I should have realised he would want to walk instead of spending £200 on it

9. natali February 18, 2013 at 10:17 pm #

Hallo. I’m thinking to get one, but worried if my little one could get cold there. Do they have footmuff?